A worrisome home repair that many homeowners face is a slab leak. Water leaking under your concrete slab can cause serious issues and make the foundation of your home unstable. Trust Tampa Bay Plumbing to repair these dangerous and frustrating leaks in your home. Tampa and Clearwater, FL residents trust us with their plumbing services.
What Causes Slab Leaks?
These types of leaks occur under the foundation of your home. It makes them difficult to spot and can create complications during repairs. Some of the most common causes of slab leaks include:
- Corroded pipes that break or rupture over time.
- Expansion or contraction of the water inside your pipes causing vibrations can also cause pipes to rub together or rub on the rebar. This creates weak spots and eventually leads to leaks.
- Earthquakes or other extreme weather events can cause a change in the ground pressure that can lead to pipes disconnecting, shifting or bursting.
Why are they so Dangerous?
Since these leaks develop under the concrete slab of your home, they can be difficult to repair and often take longer to discover. Slab leaks specifically are dangerous because of the structural element to their destruction. As water from the leak washes away from your foundation, it takes with it sediment and dirt that actually works to stabilize your foundation. If left for too long, these leaks can cause serious structural damage to your home.
Signs of a Slab Leak
If you experience any of the following in your home, you may have a leak under your slab. Call a professional right away if you notice any of these signs:
- Cold spots in your walls or floor
- Hearing the sound of rushing water in your walls
- Mold or mildew growing on your walls or floor
- Water stains
- Rising or higher than normal water bills
- Standing water near the foundation of your home
Slab leaks are a nuisance to homeowners that can cause damage with mold, mildew and in severe cases, structural damage to your home.
Where are the Leaks Normally Found?
In most cases, slab leaks occur in the joints or fittings of your pipes. These areas pose the highest risk for leaks since it is more likely that this area is weaker. Once the leak has been detected, our technicians can work to repair the damage and ensure a leak in the same area doesn’t happen again.
If the damage is more widespread, we often recommend repiping to save costs and avoid problems in the future.
If you need Slab Leak Repair, call a professional right away to get the problem solved safely and quickly. Call us at (727) 223-6400 now.